|Click on the image to get a large enough picture to read the text.|
Monday, August 15, 2016
Here's a video of Moses Dirks reading out the names of Aleutian Kayak parts in Unangam Tunuu, the Aleut language. The names and the kayak parts are linked in the picture below for reference. The video was made at the Aleutian Pribiloff Islands Association Urban Culture Camp in Anchorage in 2010.
This particular boat suffered the indignity of shrinking skin which caved in a good percentage of its ribs. So I decided that it was time to rebuild the boat. Aside from replacing damaged ribs, I also wanted to elevate the rear deck and make the cockpit coaming level. I had lowered the rear deck to make rolling the boat easier but as it turned out, lowering the back deck simply made it harder to get good back support. So on with the pictures.
Next we will be bending some new ribs, followed by some painting and varnishing and relashing all the stuff that came off during the deconstruction. Stay tuned.
|What happened was that the nylon skin shrank to such an extent in the hot California sun that it caved in the ribs. Not only did the shrinking skin recurve the ribs, it broked them. A few ribs at either end of the boat survived.|
|Slitting the stitching on the deck.|
|Slitting the lashings around the coaming which hold the skin to the coaming.|
|The skin has been slit all around, ready to pull it off.|
|Except for the ribs, the hull is in mostly good shape.|
|The first step in getting the bad ribs out is to unlash them from the keelson..|
|The tail fin is looking a bit ragged. It was made out of plywood and I decided to replace it with redwood.|
|For some reason I added a deck beam for better foot support without taking the other deck beam out. So that deck beam toward the front had to come out.|
|Here,s the stuff I took off the boat, coaming, coaming stanchions, tail fin and both the fore and aft deck stringers. I took off the deck stringers just to make putting the new ribs in easier.|
|Here's the extra deck beam removed and all the bad ribs.|
|I already added a new tail fin.|
|There's the hull stringers hanging out in space waiting for support from a new set of ribs.|
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
I'm trying to fill out my list of skin-boat related blogs and websites that have useful information for would-be kayak builders. If you have any favorites, feel free to list them in the comments. Feel free to suggest sites even if they are related to canoes or any other small boat building practices. I will check them out and add them to the list on my website and to the blog roll and like box on this blog. Thank you.
Monday, August 8, 2016
There's one more part of the playboat overhaul that I should document and that is the relocation of the deck beam at the back of the cockpit after I had already put the skin on the boat. Messing with the frame is best done when the skin is off the boat, but it wasn't until after I put the finished boat in the water and paddled it that I discovered that it would be better if the back deck beam were a few inches farther back so it would line up with the back of the coaming . The main problem was that since it didn't line up with the back of the coaming, it jabbed into my back when I was paddling. It's one of those things that don't reveal themselves till you actually use the boat, kind of like too tight shoes.
And that should be the end of coverage for this kayak remodel unless some other thing comes up that I haven't discovered yet.
|The back of the cockpit is on the right. You can see the deck beam that supports the back of the coaming sticking out a good three inches in front of the coaming's back. Had to fix that.|
|Here's the view of the relocated deck beam from inside the boat looking up. That red piece of wood at the top is a carlin that supports the side of the coaming. The exposed wood shows where the deckbeam used to sit.|
|View of the surgery on the other side of the boat. I also had to add a support for the carlin, nailed it to the edge of the deck beam with bronze ring nails.|
|Interior view looking forward.|
|Interior view looking aft.|
Tuesday, August 2, 2016
Skipping part 5 which is where I decided to add a King Island style nose to the kayak. The point of this was to elevate the bow to minimize water coming over the bow in oncoming waves. No pictures of that process available though you can see the end result here.
Postscript: I launched the boat, found that the back deck beam in the cockpit was digging in my back and so I moved it back a few inches to make the boat more comfortable. Also needed to put more sealant on the seams since they were still taking on water. In spite of the extra two feet, the boat is still pretty low volume for someone my size. Were I to build another 12 footer from scratch, I would make the stern beamier and raise the bow some more. The End.
|Viewing from back to front, fog bank hanging over the west end of San Francisco, San Francisco downtown skyline, salt marsh, tidal pond, chain link fence, and finally the newly varnished playboat.|
|closeup on the foredeck with faux sealskin paint splatter.|
|And the rear deck.|
|Little better side view showing extensions to the hull, a foot in the bow and another foot in the stern making the finished boat 12 feet over the original 10.|
|The nose, like some menacing sea creature.|
|View inside the cockpit with detail of spray painted frame and seam in the skin pieced in two parts.|
|Time has passed, the grass has dried out and the playboat is awaiting its first trip on the water.|
Monday, August 1, 2016
As promised, I took a can of red spray paint and loosely misted the flat desert storm camo paint I had put on the frame of the playboat. Made it look a whole lot more traditional. Photos below.