Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Contemporary Aleut Boat Builders

Mike Livingston is active in teaching traditional Aleut culture in Alaskan schools. It's not the only thing he does, but it's one of them. Besides making kayaks, Mike also teaches other skills such as wooden kayak hat construction, drum making, baidarka model making and Aleut language.


Here's Mike teaching wooden hat making to students at Aleut Culture Camp in Cold Bay. Mike is from Cold Bay. He went to school there. His dad met his mom here during WWII and decided to stay on after WWII.


Here's the older students from culture camp at Cold Bay School. Mike is to the far left. Teacher Kurt Schmidt is to the far right. Students came from a number of locations besides Cold Bay, Akutan, Nelson Lagoon and False Pass.


Here's a photo taken at the end of Culture Camp with a completed baidarka. From left to right, Mike, Kurt, myself, baidarka, Candace. We had to do some prep work ahead of culture camp, but students knocked out three boats in three days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have visited your beautiful and stylish website..And I can suggest,

Lets exchange the links between our websites.. I couldn't find contact page, that's why I'm writing here:

My preferred link:
Yachts Reviews Boats Tests



Please put mine, and tell me your link(complete linking info), my e-mail is mceselko@gmail.com, I'll put it immediately...

Delete this comment afterwards...

Best Regards
Benny Combson

Anonymous said...

Hi Wolfgang,

It's great to see that you'e put together all this information about Aleut builders, past and present, in the one place.

I wonder if there's enough material for an article in SK magazine, for example?

Bill