After going out fishing in my 16 foot baidarka I decided to make some mods to the decklines to make it a better fishing boat. The mods were not extensive but addressed two particular aspect of the existing rigging that could be improved. One mod improved the ability to stow paddles on the foredeck. The other mod improved my ability to get out of the boat quickly after landing on the beach. Let's go to the pictures.
If you're paying attention, you will also notice that I added another rub guard on the starboard side of the cockpit. I thought that might also help with getting in and out of the boat.
And finally, I ran another line between the two deck toggles to keep them from sliding off the edge of the gunwales when I'm hoisting myself out of the cockpit. I tested all this on the ground. I have yet to try it out on the water where it counts.
And finally, I formalized the padding in the cockpit. Previously I just had a foam pad in the bottom of the boat. I still only have a foam pad on the bottom of the boat, but now I cut it in half and doubled up on the bottom and tied it to the ribs and I also added a piece of foarm as a backrest. This should help with sitting for hours while fishing.
More on the water testing is forthcoming. Stay tuned.