Thursday, April 17, 2008

Paddle Decorations

I made a paddle for one of the local paddlers. He wanted decorations on it. I did a NW Coast design for him. In the process, I also did a few extra designs just to play around. The designs came from a book on native tattoos. I'm thinking of coming up with a bunch of these images suitable for a kayak paddle in case people want their paddles personalized.

This is an eagle - see claws at the bottom. Looked more like a crab to me at first glance, but really, it's an eagle. The interesting thing I found out as part of my research is that 2D art of the NW uses a lot of standard pictorial elements for making up pictures, like the oval or the oval with a little dart in it and so on. It's almost like forming words out of limited number of letters, only it's done in 2D and scaled to various sizes.

The bishop. I like this one for some reason. I think it's because of its iconic simplicity.

No comments: